Home / Learn / Taxes / 9 Steps to Filing Income Tax Returns on Your Own

9 Steps to Filing Income Tax Returns on Your Own

Step 4 Claim all the deductions you are eligible for

Your employer calculates your salary and TDS deductions based on the investments you had declared at the beginning of the year. But you could have invested more under Section 80C during the year than you originally declared to your previous employer.

If you are concerned that you have not any investments under Section 80C, you’ll be happy to know that 80C offers tax relief on some of your expenses too.

Your contribution to the provident fund, life insurance premium payments (provided the premium is less than 10% of the sum assured), tuition fee if you have school-going children are a few expenses that can be claimed as a deduction under Section 80C.

 Expenses related to stamp duty and registration charges can be deducted under Section 80C if you bought a house between April 2014 and March 2015.


Section 80TTA, a common deduction that most people forget to claim,  allows for a tax deduction on interest income from bank savings account of up to Rs.10,000.  Make sure you avail this deduction.

About Rachna Monga Koppikar

Rachna aka your Great Gruhini is a finance writer with over a decade's experience in writing about personal finance matters with leading financial publications of India. As she studies to be a certified financial planner, she is also on a mission to make every woman a money savvy individual. So shed your inhibitions. Get over your money worries with The Great Gruhini. Write to her at thegreatgruhini@gmail.com

Check Also

A Checklist Manifesto for Tax Troubles!

Getting jittery about how to invest for saving taxes? Don’t worry as you aren’t alone. …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*Please enter the text from the image.